Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Shadow and Light Source Both
How does a part of the world leave the world?
How does wetness leave water?
Dont' try to put out fire by throwing on
more fire! Don't wash a wound with blood.
No matter how fast you run, your shadow
keeps up. Sometimes it's in front!
Only full overhead sun diminishes your shadow.
But that shadow has been serving you.
What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is
your candle. Your boundaries are your quest.
I could explain this, but it will break the
glass cover on your heart, and there's no
You must have shadow and light source both.
Listen, and lay your head under the tree of awe.
When from that tree feathers and wings sprout on you,
be quieter than a dove. Don't even open your mouth for
even a coo.
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shadow and Light Source Both by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
- ! Insane Asylum (PH Forum Commentary), Alice Vedral Rivera
- फैमालनि बिदिन्थि, Ronjoy Brahma
- When Whispers Death, Its Cruel Call!, Dr John Celes
- mother, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadh ..
- Say You It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burning, Spiritwind Wood
- Somebody Often Keeps Asking, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The devotee shows his angry to the God!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Love-bonding With a Muhammedan Girl (Bil.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mera Amanaat Hai Tum, Amitava Sur
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)