Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Shadow and Light Source Both
How does a part of the world leave the world?
How does wetness leave water?
Dont' try to put out fire by throwing on
more fire! Don't wash a wound with blood.
No matter how fast you run, your shadow
keeps up. Sometimes it's in front!
Only full overhead sun diminishes your shadow.
But that shadow has been serving you.
What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is
your candle. Your boundaries are your quest.
I could explain this, but it will break the
glass cover on your heart, and there's no
You must have shadow and light source both.
Listen, and lay your head under the tree of awe.
When from that tree feathers and wings sprout on you,
be quieter than a dove. Don't even open your mouth for
even a coo.
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shadow and Light Source Both by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
Did you read them?
- The Lamentation Of David Over Saul And J.., George Wither
- Thine am I, my faithful Fair, Robert Burns
- The Gowden Locks of Anna, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The Toad-eater, Robert Burns
- Second Epistle to Robert Graham, Esq., o.., Robert Burns
- Crazy Cotton Limerick, Philo Yan
- The Calf, Robert Burns
- The Sometime Sportsman Greets the Spring, John Updike
- In The Shadow of Darkness, Adeosun Pelumi
- Mally's meek, Mally's sweet, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Naming of Parts, Henry Reed
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns