Down shaded avenues I wander
'Midst the falling Autumn leaves -
In solitude to dream and ponder
On all which the world now grieves.
Sweet melodies have softly faded
With the dying of the sun -
The paths of joy and love abraded,
All things lost and all things done.
With tranquil mind and silent yearning
For a time when peace shall be -
So armed with love and gracious learning,
Shall my heart and soul be free.
Thus on to distant realms I travel,
Searching for a future time
When every dream shall then unravel -
Splendid, wonderful, sublime.
Ah, be then still my soul forever,
No more tossed, torn, nor defiled -
All life's vicissitudes to sever,
Seeking lands yet fair and mild.
Oh, for a land where sunshine lingers,
Oh, for a land of sweet repose
Where every care slips through my fingers -
Peacefully ling'ring at the close...
Ah, peacefully ling'ring at the close.
Valerie Dohren's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shaded Avenues by Valerie Dohren )
Did you read them?
- Invitation to Ground Zero, William Jay Smith
- Touch not, gajanan mishra
- At Inchon, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Always Yours, Michael McParland
- All rich, gajanan mishra
- ما كان ذنبي, قسطاكي الحمصي
- حديث النفس, قسطاكي الحمصي
- A fox in Leeds with unusual needs., Stephen Katona
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)