Down shaded avenues I wander
'Midst the falling Autumn leaves -
In solitude to dream and ponder
On all which the world now grieves.
Sweet melodies have softly faded
With the dying of the sun -
The paths of joy and love abraded,
All things lost and all things done.
With tranquil mind and silent yearning
For a time when peace shall be -
So armed with love and gracious learning,
Shall my heart and soul be free.
Thus on to distant realms I travel,
Searching for a future time
When every dream shall then unravel -
Splendid, wonderful, sublime.
Ah, be then still my soul forever,
No more tossed, torn, nor defiled -
All life's vicissitudes to sever,
Seeking lands yet fair and mild.
Oh, for a land where sunshine lingers,
Oh, for a land of sweet repose
Where every care slips through my fingers -
Peacefully ling'ring at the close...
Ah, peacefully ling'ring at the close.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shaded Avenues by Valerie Dohren )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Nigeria I Hail Thee, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- Her Smile, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- ©Getting Over You, Bandile Matsenjwa
- Lost and Found (one f word at the end), Anthony Di'anno
- raining in scotland, ko the skipper
- THE BLACK MAN WITH A KNIFE, johnny case
- I don't know if I know me, Logan Fulk
- Frustration, courtney metcalf
- WE ARE HERE, Christina Sunrise
- Your love, Mark Heathcote