Down shaded avenues I wander
'Midst the falling Autumn leaves -
In solitude to dream and ponder
On all which the world now grieves.
Sweet melodies have softly faded
With the dying of the sun -
The paths of joy and love abraded,
All things lost and all things done.
With tranquil mind and silent yearning
For a time when peace shall be -
So armed with love and gracious learning,
Shall my heart and soul be free.
Thus on to distant realms I travel,
Searching for a future time
When every dream shall then unravel -
Splendid, wonderful, sublime.
Ah, be then still my soul forever,
No more tossed, torn, nor defiled -
All life's vicissitudes to sever,
Seeking lands yet fair and mild.
Oh, for a land where sunshine lingers,
Oh, for a land of sweet repose
Where every care slips through my fingers -
Peacefully ling'ring at the close...
Ah, peacefully ling'ring at the close.
Valerie Dohren's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shaded Avenues by Valerie Dohren )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Mercy, save me., Darian Kalamerd
- ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ, Deepak Malapur
- A Cruel Hope, Praveen Nautiyal
- Our Vista, Hazel Durham
- UNWANTED, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- In my poems each word, gajanan mishra
- The silent Witness, Angell Afinowi
- Peaceful Faculty-5, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Peaceful Faculty-4, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Dear Mom! Please Come Back, Raj DEVAN