A tiger's not a cuddly cat
To twist his ears or tail,
A tiger's so much more than that,
How else could he prevail?
His fellow cubs teach lessons well,
They squeeze and tug and chew
And oh the stories each could tell,
Until the time each grew...
Yet all grown up, each hunts alone,
Thus each meal's on the line,
Somewhere, out there, not always known,
Until it's time to dine...
Then tigers aren't the cutest things
That folks are blessed to see,
Despite the fact they act like kings,
With utmost majesty...
A close-up look would soon erase
Our winsome points of view,
For should we dare to meet their gaze,
Each face would grant a clue...
Such that we'd truly learn at length
Why tigers won't repent,
We'd see their overwhelming strength
And serious intent...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting by
Stephen Gayford, nb Google search gayfordgallery.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Comments about this poem (Serious Intent by Denis Martindale )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Peter S. Quinn
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Bull, Ralph Hodgson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
Poem of the Day
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti
- Take A Stand, Saiom Shriver
- Suckling, Saiom Shriver
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'Sestina', Merton Lee
- Sol, Steve Howard