A tiger's not a cuddly cat
To twist his ears or tail,
A tiger's so much more than that,
How else could he prevail?
His fellow cubs teach lessons well,
They squeeze and tug and chew
And oh the stories each could tell,
Until the time each grew...
Yet all grown up, each hunts alone,
Thus each meal's on the line,
Somewhere, out there, not always known,
Until it's time to dine...
Then tigers aren't the cutest things
That folks are blessed to see,
Despite the fact they act like kings,
With utmost majesty...
A close-up look would soon erase
Our winsome points of view,
For should we dare to meet their gaze,
Each face would grant a clue...
Such that we'd truly learn at length
Why tigers won't repent,
We'd see their overwhelming strength
And serious intent...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting by
Stephen Gayford, nb Google search gayfordgallery.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Comments about this poem (Serious Intent by Denis Martindale )
- On My Way To River, Fatima Nusairat
- Encompassing Wisdom, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pia Pium Sermo, michael walkerjohn
- Nights Of Quiet Grief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Your father, hasmukh amathalal
- Benefiting Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Loneliness, Oduro Bright Amoh
- Planning Sensuous Sentiments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sensuous Sentiments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Waltzing In Syllables, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)