Edgar Allan Poe
So sweet the hour, so calm the time,
I feel it more than half a crime,
When Nature sleeps and stars are mute,
To mar the silence ev'n with lute.
At rest on ocean's brilliant dyes
An image of Elysium lies:
Seven Pleiades entranced in Heaven,
Form in the deep another seven:
Endymion nodding from above
Sees in the sea a second love.
Within the valleys dim and brown,
And on the spectral mountain's crown,
The wearied light is dying down,
And earth, and stars, and sea, and sky
Are redolent of sleep, as I
Am redolent of thee and thine
Enthralling love, my Adeline.
But list, O list,- so soft and low
Thy lover's voice tonight shall flow,
That, scarce awake, thy soul shall deem
My words the music of a dream.
Thus, while no single sound too rude
Upon thy slumber shall intrude,
Our thoughts, our souls- O God above!
In every deed shall mingle, love.
Edgar Allan Poe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Serenade by Edgar Allan Poe )
Did you read them?
- AN ODE TO AUTUMN, Dr. Yogesh Sharma
- Remote Control War, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- African Voter?, Gedion Onyango
- Weakness In Me, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
- The Correspondence School Instructor Say.., Galway Kinnell
- The New School, Joyce Kilmer
- Vindicate your Decision, Kumarmani Mahakul
- All The People, Paul Gerard Reed
- Mercenary, Babatunde Aremu
- Then, SALINI NAIR
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(15 April 1958)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)