Sea Going Ditty
The liner gushes softly through the waves,
Designed with contours so it saves
Kiddies in paddlin’ pools,
Old men on bar stools.
The evening sun illuminates its path,
Whilst jolly sailors have a laugh.
Rolling up a cigarette,
Perhaps there’s something they’ll forget.
A loved one left ashore,
They’ll long to reunite - that’s for sure.
Off toward sunnier climes,
But at this moment it’s Netley time.
The man with binoculars sees the clock
As the waves gush in and out with each tick-tock
As he gazes forward toward the Solent gap
He’s reminded of his birth, this very lucky chap.
For out she widens East & West,
Probably either way is best.
Hair blows back to mimic the wash,
As your aboard this liner so P.O.S.H.
Hythe’s such a special place to see,
Pictures of the world and you & me.
There is always movement in the ocean,
Peace & Harmony - no commotion.
So if you want somewhere to go before your dead,
Tickets are now £20 per head.
Charles McMullen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sea Going Ditty by Charles McMullen )
- Little Planet, Kazuko Shiraishi
- For you, shall never I be old, Saheb Mohapatra
- Because I love you much, Saheb Mohapatra
- God, it's the man speaking, Saheb Mohapatra
- Zoos, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- How would be my last breathe?, Saheb Mohapatra
- Fall, Frank Avon
- LIMERICK-2 (Saloon day), Saheb Mohapatra
- MOTHER, Saheb Mohapatra
- POETRY, Saheb Mohapatra
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Snake, Theodore Roethke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)