Sea Going Ditty
The liner gushes softly through the waves,
Designed with contours so it saves
Kiddies in paddlin’ pools,
Old men on bar stools.
The evening sun illuminates its path,
Whilst jolly sailors have a laugh.
Rolling up a cigarette,
Perhaps there’s something they’ll forget.
A loved one left ashore,
They’ll long to reunite - that’s for sure.
Off toward sunnier climes,
But at this moment it’s Netley time.
The man with binoculars sees the clock
As the waves gush in and out with each tick-tock
As he gazes forward toward the Solent gap
He’s reminded of his birth, this very lucky chap.
For out she widens East & West,
Probably either way is best.
Hair blows back to mimic the wash,
As your aboard this liner so P.O.S.H.
Hythe’s such a special place to see,
Pictures of the world and you & me.
There is always movement in the ocean,
Peace & Harmony - no commotion.
So if you want somewhere to go before your dead,
Tickets are now £20 per head.
Charles McMullen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sea Going Ditty by Charles McMullen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Tell All, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Illusion of Love, Samuel Dickerson
- Doing That To Ourselves, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Playing Crazy, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Is Every Man Your Equal?, Mr. Nobody
- To Live Without Being Betrayed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- the giver tanka, Kayla Daley
- Your Love Is, Michael McParland
- Living A Life I Profess, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Devotional Plead to the Universal Mother*, Tushar Ray