Piece of glass along the shore
Buried within the sand
Abandoned by neglected care
No one could understand.
At first glance they see the glass
As a hazard and a waste
Judged as garbage destroying the sea
And its beauty the glass disgraced.
The sharpened ends of that piece of glass
So pointy by the touch
Is merely defense from the bitter world
Its own protective crutch.
Yet here the glass must realize
The potential of its beauty
That it's better than those harsh judgments and words
And that it truly belongs in the sea.
So the beatings it takes from the sand and waves
Similar to those judgmental attacks
Won't shatter the glass and destroy its soul
It won't fall for those foolish acts.
The attacks will merely just soften
The glass's need to defend
And in time the glass will be stronger and smooth
The harshness will finally soon end.
This is the tale of the sea glass
Starting in pain and ending in pleasure
The sea glass so rare and wanted by all
The sea's hidden treasure.
Genevieve Pilat's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sea Glass by Genevieve Pilat )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- A Touching Rendition, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dahshatgard, Bano Ali
- Safe Haven, Denis Martindale
- My Dear Father, Monesh Kumar
- But quarrelsome, gajanan mishra
- Period so brief, hasmukh amathalal
- Rapping Christmas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On Christmas Evening, John Lars Zwerenz
- MAX, Dog goD 8Hate
- Defective, gajanan mishra