There it was.....but now 'isn't'.
That old scratch,
The deafening gaffe
Afflicting the Adagio,
Taunting the Beethoven splendor
Marring the solemn bar-
With a skip-tick, skip-tick, skip-tick:
After all these years-in memory
Against even the Master, having the final dig.
Scratch that even the wizardry of Bang-Olufson
Can't diminish: pointless, the trick
Of freighting with coins the stylus' head
Fond, the hope of slowly bruxxing the scratch from the wax-
Or whatever the rainbow-ridden things were pressed from,
Until finally the scratch
Just became part of the score,
A reminder that nothing is perfect- -
Or stays that way for long-not even Beethoven.
Scratch. At such time, such an age.
Scratch. At such age, such a grade.
Scratch. At such grade, so bent,
Scratch. So bent, the music figured this,
That or the other thing. We change. Scratch,
Til, heard now
On the radio, scratchless, clean.
Oh, audiophile, do you miss the scratches of yesteryear?
Familiar insults to fresh roads prefer?
Either way, we never forget them, scratches. Not entirely.
They etch themselves deep in memory- 'here.'
In this or that preferred version: noisome
Artifacts, recalled with grim precision-
Many would miss them, if in one or other edition
At least, they didn't recur.
Others might insist the wretched scratch
A useful part of this or that tradition-
But not me. I don't and disagree.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Scratches by Morgan Michaels )
- Baat toh itni si…., Priyanka Nayak
- Missing You, Priyanka Nayak
- On The Death Of Ella Fitzgerald, Shalom Freedman
- It's All Fare in Love, Akhtar Jawad
- Blissful Atmosphere, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Going beyond death, see me, gajanan mishra
- Total Anticipation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- opganda.com ≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '수원휴게텔대박'…'동탄휴게텔.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- opganda.com ≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '강남오피대박'…'동탄휴게텔'.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- Being with you means a lot!, Sumita Jetley
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)