There it was.....but now 'isn't'.
That old scratch,
The deafening gaffe
Afflicting the Adagio,
Taunting the Beethoven splendor
Marring the solemn bar-
With a skip-tick, skip-tick, skip-tick:
After all these years-in memory
Against even the Master, having the final dig.
Scratch that even the wizardry of Bang-Olufson
Can't diminish: pointless, the trick
Of freighting with coins the stylus' head
Fond, the hope of slowly bruxxing the scratch from the wax-
Or whatever the rainbow-ridden things were pressed from,
Until finally the scratch
Just became part of the score,
A reminder that nothing is perfect- -
Or stays that way for long-not even Beethoven.
Scratch. At such time, such an age.
Scratch. At such age, such a grade.
Scratch. At such grade, so bent,
Scratch. So bent, the music figured this,
That or the other thing. We change. Scratch,
Til, heard now
On the radio, scratchless, clean.
Oh, audiophile, do you miss the scratches of yesteryear?
Familiar insults to fresh roads prefer?
Either way, we never forget them, scratches. Not entirely.
They etch themselves deep in memory- 'here.'
In this or that preferred version: noisome
Artifacts, recalled with grim precision-
Many would miss them, if in one or other edition
At least, they didn't recur.
Others might insist the wretched scratch
A useful part of this or that tradition-
But not me. I don't and disagree.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Scratches by Morgan Michaels )
- Her Front Door, Randy McClave
- Thankless animal, hasmukh amathalal
- Treat Me Right, Katherine Nordhaus
- A Call to the MinuteMen, Michael Stevens
- Romeos morning serenade climb, Mark Heathcote
- Screamers, Lev Brekhman
- Bitter lament, Lev Brekhman
- Breakheart solo, Lev Brekhman
- Pygmalion, Lev Brekhman
- Be ready, Lev Brekhman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Surfer, Judith Wright
- The Genius Of The Crowd, Charles Bukowski
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)