Scars Are Legal. Not Scabs.
When Joe was 9
He had the chickenpox.
Never one to trust his abusive father
Or the dead lips of his mother’s corpse
To ignore his father.
While he picked his pockmarks
Gathered en masse
Atop his thighs.
And his father would scream:
“Boy, stop pickin those.”
But he kept
Picking-till blood displayed
A U shaped pattern
Under a microscope
Of obsessive-compulsive-fingernail growth.
When Joe was 22
His father died.
He picked at new scabs
Located where his elbow pivoted
Into acute angles.
Every few hours
Picking-till one morning
His scabs didn’t wake up.
He awakened in a hospital gown.
He reached over
To pick his new scabs
But his arm was gone!
He reached down
To pick his old scabs
But his legs were gone!
Standing in the doorway
Was a police officer
Around his right index.
“Remember scars are legal-not scabs.”
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Scars Are Legal. Not Scabs. by A.j. Binash )
- " Change " it's our aspiration!, sisirachandra vaduge
- Women, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Desire, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I Love You, Melika Gillard
- Firaq yar ko dagha..., Azhar Sabri
- Save Mother!, tolu ogundare
- சின்னச் சின்ன பையா வா!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Infinite journey., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Feelings Unfelt, RUBAB ATWAL
- Dear person, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- My Teacher, My Hero, Geneen Alyssa Meyers
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(1552 - 13 January 1599)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)