When I had no roof I made
Audacity my roof. When I had
No supper my eyes dined.
When I had no eyes I listened.
When I had no ears I thought.
When I had no thought I waited.
When I had no father I made
Care my father. When I had
No mother I embraced order.
When I had no friend I made
Quiet my friend. When I had no
Enemy I opposed my body.
When I had no temple I made
My voice my temple. I have
No priest, my tongue is my choir.
When I have no means fortune
Is my means. When I have
Nothing, death will be my fortune.
Need is my tactic, detachment
Is my strategy. When I had
No lover I courted my sleep.
Robert Pinsky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Samurai Song by Robert Pinsky )
- Poles, Edward Kofi Louis
- Fictional Love, Stacey Austin
- Too Late Again., Tom Higgins
- Cutting my losses., michael walker
- Moonlight Shadows, Tango Tango
- Thoughts of Nought., Tom Higgins
- Lotsa Limericks - It Couldn't be Verse, Terry O'Leary
- JUDGEMENT DAY, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- Wedding Vows, Clive Blake
- Dark Clouds, Tanja Bakic
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)