You came along, when
I had no more to give;
and your presence
stirred my soul;
gave me cause to live,
made my fragments whole.
Gave my life some meaning,
changed the way I
looked at things;
made me realize that love,
can bring a heart to sing;
can lift the deepest sorrow,
with the gift it always brings.
You came along when,
I was at my lowest rung,
when my last song was sung;
You never doubted me
when I told you of my life,
the toils, the trouble, the
heartbreak, the endless strife.
You smiled and said I love you,
then you took and held my hand,
and we walked on through tomorrow,
and today, with you, I stand.
You came along when,
apathy, was my only friend;
when I was down and out,
when I thought the pain
would never end.
But where there's love
there's hope, and you
were there for me;
now, I'm safe, within your arms.
and from those, I'll never flee.
David Lessard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Safety by David Lessard )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip