Ruminations Over Morning Coffee
The ones we truly loved are never truly gone…
Until they’re fully forgotten.
They existed in in our corporeal world of
Substance then: in our world of physicality
And also of mortality.
But now perhaps they’ve simply taken up
Residence in a very real, yet very different world:
The world of memories.
The ones I loved are still close by me. Only now
They dwell within my mind. No less alive
Then they were before and perhaps
Even more so now.
To me at least, they’ve only traded
One plane of existence for another
One in which they’re always happy,
And forever young (if you wish them to be)
And are seen, felt, loved and live
in my memory.
So, the way I figure it is:
They’re just as alive in my memory
As they were before in life
And they won’t take leave
Until I can leave with them.
Perhaps to take residence
In another’s fond memories
And if and when, we’re finally forgotten
Then, and only then, do we truly take leave
David Whalen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ruminations Over Morning Coffee by David Whalen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- OVER THE HARD ROCK OF SUICIDE فوق صخرة ا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Today I Watched A fly, Kyle Schlicher
- Opportune Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- OVER THE HARD ROCK OF SUICIDE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Yesterday's Emotions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Someone's History, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On a Love Train, Tosin Abegunde
- A Happy Song, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The silent sufferer, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- A Desert Oasis, RoseAnn V. Shawiak