March 24 1980, it rings a bell?
As the bell sounded and chalice raised,
contained the Blood of Christ,
shots rang in El Salvador and
Romero was slain, dead, martyred.
He was warned. His Jesuit friend
Rutilio Grande was assassinated
a short time before, a prequel perhaps?
We think years later.
We will remember them
over Westminster door.
And as a Sequel in Salvador
Ignacio, Segundo, Ignacio,
Juan Ramon, Joaquin,
Amando, more Jesuit priestly blood,
but this time a woman Elba,
her daughter Celina.
Romero, testament to blood,
and speaking for the poor,
but mostly, like the others
taking seriously the Gospel
'Let it become for us the blood of Christ'.
'Fruit of the Vine,
and work of human hands.
On March 24, with a prequel
Bernard Kennedy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Romero by Bernard Kennedy )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Ebola, Is It Poetry
- Last Journey, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Cat Nap..., Denis Martindale
- Blasphemy Is Light Which Beacons The Pat.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Tall One, tallulah montegue
- to be continued..., Mandolyn ...
- A song of a real dream!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The Face in the Passing Train, David Lewis Paget
- Awareness of the Truth (Section 36 of Th.., rajendran muthiah
- The Poetic Art & Craft of O.N.Gupta, Bijay Kant Dubey