Oracle, an eclipsed, reddened sun
His superstitious mind freaked out.
Unrepentant pagans, like him, by an
Unquestioned age-long belief, swear;
But although, an unequivocal proof
Such an awe-inspiring myth lacks.
Thrice, in vain, growled in hysteria
A thief that stole a sacrificial goat;
To the gods, his blood on iroko tree,
Spilled like chicken-pox, destined was.
Mass-Server Chibuzo, in solemnity,
Thrice, on his knees, the altar bell rang
And Holy Communion approaching, Adia,
A lone voice, hymns her best shot gave.
A former ritual executioner, Obi, now a
Convert, “Mea Culpa” mouthed.
His very first words, as Christian,
Out went In search of a new start;
No veil can sins from him now hide,
What’s left is for “Alleluia” to ring loud.
Lagos, May 18,2013
GEORGE AMADI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ritual Executioner by GEORGE AMADI )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The curdling moon, Mark Heathcote
- Look up or down, hasmukh amathalal
- Igor, Von Kimball Barney
- Does He Think Of Me, Brianna Kimball
- Live the life king size, hasmukh amathalal
- Tropic Interlude, Liilia Talts Morrison
- The Bear and the Crow, Stephen Katona
- Still exist, hasmukh amathalal
- INCONSTANT LOVE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- HAIKU...The Good Die Young, Ken e Hall