Oracle, an eclipsed, reddened sun
His superstitious mind freaked out.
Unrepentant pagans, like him, by an
Unquestioned age-long belief, swear;
But although, an unequivocal proof
Such an awe-inspiring myth lacks.
Thrice, in vain, growled in hysteria
A thief that stole a sacrificial goat;
To the gods, his blood on iroko tree,
Spilled like chicken-pox, destined was.
Mass-Server Chibuzo, in solemnity,
Thrice, on his knees, the altar bell rang
And Holy Communion approaching, Adia,
A lone voice, hymns her best shot gave.
A former ritual executioner, Obi, now a
Convert, “Mea Culpa” mouthed.
His very first words, as Christian,
Out went In search of a new start;
No veil can sins from him now hide,
What’s left is for “Alleluia” to ring loud.
Lagos, May 18,2013
GEORGE AMADI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ritual Executioner by GEORGE AMADI )
- Over Time, Fatima Nusairat
- Truth is that, gajanan mishra
- FUCHSIA, Aminath Neena
- love is an 8 ball- it is decidedly so, Mandolyn ...
- Rising of a New Day Through Shine, Rohit Sapra
- Sad Cloud, ramesh rai
- I am carnival, Havilah
- Creative Musical Juces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Finally Found Our Home, Michael McParland
- Distance doesn't matter, Antonio Liao
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)