When from sin we were first forgiven,
Asleep at the foot on frosty bed wake,
Look for locks to open the gates of heaven,
And change the sheet we take.
To hastily dress in graceful dignity,
And mortal things upon which are frown,
Lay in silent arbors to bequeath the clay,
Which made the dust our temporary home?
In walking, and talking, soon we’ll be taken,
Since we came into the world with nothing,
We inherited sin, but by grace we are given,
And receive hope to make a new beginning.
Although death, subdue for a moments glow,
In resurrection this world will be renew,
And the weak will live; and rise, and grow,
Immortalize with wind and breath and dew.
Like a crusade wrought for a stately crown,
The transformation of life awaits humanity,
In breath that comes from every sound,
Resurrection opens the gates of prophecy.
Upon where earth lies spinning in space,
So high, that covering penance is meekly worn,
To translate the earthly crown for a fuller grace,
In the presence of God joy is happily worn.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Resurection by Gerry Legister )
- Masochistic Punishment, Margaret Alice Second
- On the Eve of Festives, Riyaz Yamish
- Dovetail, Naveed Khalid
- First Dance, Jeannette Heywood
- Bass Line, Betsy Sholl
- Forgive and forget - O men, gajanan mishra
- Snowflakes and Lillies, Anthony Di'anno
- Lament, Betsy Sholl
- I have taken birth only once, gajanan mishra
- A Song in There, Betsy Sholl
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)