He lifted the bottle,
Trying to find those last drops
Of liquid happiness.
Something to make all the pain and anger go away.
The betrayal hurt.
The feeling he felt was one of shame;
Shame and regret.
Regret for feeling again.
Regret for breaking down the walls that once held everything so close together that nothing could break through.
Love was lost.
As each swallow glided down his throat,
He became empty.
The hollowing of his soul was slow,
A process of healing.
His anger was seen through the redness of his eyes;
The lack of sleep making him slip into insanity.
Death was eminent;
But at his own hand.
The embarrassment, of being alone, of being unloved;
Of being tricked...
There was a bottle lined up on the wall for every thought
An ever growing image running in his mind that made him sick.
Failure and regret, shame and regret, loneliness and regret, betrayal and regret;
Betrayal and regret...
Corey Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Regret by Corey Jones )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Rainbow's Promise, renu kakkar
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- You are all here, gajanan mishra
- Blue Wedding Bells Ring, Ken e Hall
- The Battleground, Leong Ming Loong
- An inner core, hasmukh amathalal
- Indeed I am no good so by Rasul Gamzatov, Yuri Starostin
- 1400 grams of wisdom (Merry Christmas), devon da poet
- Aspirations Inherited, Perveiz Ali
- Chimp Chomp - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Night Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- '' Life And Death '', bri mar