He lifted the bottle,
Trying to find those last drops
Of liquid happiness.
Something to make all the pain and anger go away.
The betrayal hurt.
The feeling he felt was one of shame;
Shame and regret.
Regret for feeling again.
Regret for breaking down the walls that once held everything so close together that nothing could break through.
Love was lost.
As each swallow glided down his throat,
He became empty.
The hollowing of his soul was slow,
A process of healing.
His anger was seen through the redness of his eyes;
The lack of sleep making him slip into insanity.
Death was eminent;
But at his own hand.
The embarrassment, of being alone, of being unloved;
Of being tricked...
There was a bottle lined up on the wall for every thought
An ever growing image running in his mind that made him sick.
Failure and regret, shame and regret, loneliness and regret, betrayal and regret;
Betrayal and regret...
Corey Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Regret by Corey Jones )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Roses Are Red Violets Are Blue, Jennifer Alejandra
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Freedom I Seek, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Stages of life, gajanan mishra
- Remmbering Guernica, John F. McCullagh
- Value, Carolyn Blackmon
- Tagore Song (#9) My freedom exist in da.., Tushar Ray
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Acknowledge What Love has to do with US, michael walkerjohn
- That Thing, Luo Zhihai
- The Polar Star, Tushar Ray