That trust is empty, woman, you place in your beauty's power,
long since grown overproud by my admiring.
Such honors once were paid you, Cynthia, by our love:
I feel ashamed my verse exalted you.
I culled so many beauties and blent them for your praise
so love could believe you were what you were not.
So often I compared your hue to rosy dawn,
when your face gleamed with whiteness you applied.
But what my family's friends could never free me from,
nor Thessaly's witches purge with a whole vast sea,
I have myself, all uncompelled by fire or blade,
though wrecked - I will confess - on waves of passion.
I was possessed, and fired in Venus's crucible;
a captive, my hands tied behind my back.
Now see! my ship, adorned with wreaths, has touched the shore,
I have passed the Syrtes, my anchor has been cast!
Now, tired by the huge sea-swell, at last I gain my senses;
my wounds are healed; I am returned to health.
O Goddess of Good Sense, receive your worshipper,
since Jove has turned a deaf ear to my prayers.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Recovery by Propertius )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies