Reactive Attachment Disorder
The moment a child is born.
It learns to bond with its mother.
But, sometimes unfortunately a mother is torn.
Between being a real mother and drugs.
She refuses to feed the baby.
And leaves mothering to the other.
Because, she sees her newborn baby as a bother,
And never bonds with her baby.
The baby never feels the closeness with its mother.
As when holding it securely feeding it lovingly,
The baby compulsively,
Makes noises to draw attention impulsively,
It becomes a way for the baby to survive.
It may grow up messing in its pants.
Because it's a feeling of security,
Not showing maturity.
The child eventually develops reactive attachment disorder.
From never being held close to its mother.
From never being loved and nurtured by its mother.
Then, the child's placed into foster care by court order.
The child learns from birth, not to bond or trust anyone.
Because sooner or later everyone.
Will hurt you!
Look, what your own mother did to you.
They hear their inner voice say.
She never wanted you.
Rejected from birth,
The court prays that someone will love these broken children.
As they're placed from home to home, feeling the world's judgment,
These children silently wait for true justice.
Waiting for someone to love them unconditionally,
To accept them as they are.
They wait to be part of a family one day.
All they want is someone that truly cares.
That can love the unlovable,
And be loveable, through all their pain.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Reactive Attachment Disorder by Patricia Kelley )
- There Is Nothing But Darkness, Ronell Warren Alman
- Unpopped Corn Kernals and Cold Hearts..., Monk E. Biz
- The Full Moon, Vigna Mukund
- Adrenaline is my Mistress, Hayley Lewis
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.33, Monk E. Biz
- Incarnation, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Eternal creation, ramesh rai
- Lomp doch fijn besnaard 2, Madrason writer
- Treasured days..., David Lessard
- The body of my Temple lays unswept;, David McLansky
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)