Why can’t you just listen?
Why can’t you just pause?
I hurt and I want to explode.
There’s nobody else here.
I’ve come just to you
To rant and release this hard load.
But you have your Gospel
And hurt once or twice
And think that you now have the cure.
This challenge is ugly
I burn in its fire,
A fire that you say makes me pure.
Don’t be smugly certain
It all goes away.
Look down…see my guts on the floor.
I wanted compassion.
I wanted a friend.
Not platitudes heard oft’ before.
But now comes a new thing
Do I see some tears
That trickle and moisten the cheek?
Yes, just what I needed
A listening heart
Who knows what it’s like to be weak.
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rant by Doug Blair )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- My Trip, Donald Revell
- Comatose, Beatrice Preti
- मोदै गदोँ बिखानि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Please Set Me Free, Hailey Stump
- where is my voice?, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- नै मिथिँगा अनजालि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Living And Going., Tony Adah
- The Little Martyr, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- बारसे बिबार बारदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- # When #, Aparna Chatterjee