Why can’t you just listen?
Why can’t you just pause?
I hurt and I want to explode.
There’s nobody else here.
I’ve come just to you
To rant and release this hard load.
But you have your Gospel
And hurt once or twice
And think that you now have the cure.
This challenge is ugly
I burn in its fire,
A fire that you say makes me pure.
Don’t be smugly certain
It all goes away.
Look down…see my guts on the floor.
I wanted compassion.
I wanted a friend.
Not platitudes heard oft’ before.
But now comes a new thing
Do I see some tears
That trickle and moisten the cheek?
Yes, just what I needed
A listening heart
Who knows what it’s like to be weak.
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rant by Doug Blair )
- "Vae victis! ", Lento Maez
- the death of a little girl, Lizzy Hartwig
- Not Far Off: A New Beginning, M.J Donnchadh
- My Master, Aftab Alam
- There Are Two Worlds, Neela Nath
- Dirt Is Not Love, Neela Nath
- from 'The Double V', Morgan Michaels
- God Feeds the Birds, Dr John Celes
- Floating On, Neela Nath
- Perhaps I Did It Once, Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)