Why can’t you just listen?
Why can’t you just pause?
I hurt and I want to explode.
There’s nobody else here.
I’ve come just to you
To rant and release this hard load.
But you have your Gospel
And hurt once or twice
And think that you now have the cure.
This challenge is ugly
I burn in its fire,
A fire that you say makes me pure.
Don’t be smugly certain
It all goes away.
Look down…see my guts on the floor.
I wanted compassion.
I wanted a friend.
Not platitudes heard oft’ before.
But now comes a new thing
Do I see some tears
That trickle and moisten the cheek?
Yes, just what I needed
A listening heart
Who knows what it’s like to be weak.
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rant by Doug Blair )
- a rainy day@ kidapawan, RIC S. BASTASA
- Provocation, Over The Moon
- Be patient, hasmukh amathalal
- memory lane@tabon, RIC S. BASTASA
- dawn i know, in deep understanding shall.., RIC S. BASTASA
- always uncaught., RIC S. BASTASA
- I Turn To Ice, Over The Moon
- yellow light turns green, Is It Poetry
- Tuesday, Kyle Costa
- Sleeping Machines, Kyle Costa
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 March 1941 -)