Raised by Griots (Bards)
A child of Spirituals
found in old cotton fields,
through hidden meanings
the freedom trail, I reveal.
A child of Gospel,
I must pen a joyful noise,
soulful messages to be carried
aloft by Mahalia's voice.
A child of Ragtime,
I write from the very top
a Ma Rainey's Bo-weevil
sinner's words, dancing evil.
A child of Delta Blues,
I spread dusty words,
the hard traveler's news
set to sliding 12 bar hues.
A child of Thelonious
on black and white keys,
I tell stories like Coltrane
with 6,16 jazz time ease.
A child of Motown
Otis and Sam's sixties soul,
I indite like an alchemist
turning segregation into gold.
A child of Funk
dancing through Earth, Wind
and Fire, I scribe mighty
poems to take you higher.
A child of Hip Hop and
Gansta Rap, I record the
truth of hard, urban reality,
telling you where it's at.
Jacqueline Czel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Raised by Griots (Bards) by Jacqueline Czel )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(14 October 1888 – 9 January 1923)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(23 January 1861 - 2 Apirl 1931)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael P. McParland
- Taking advise, george albot
- Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- i leaned against a tree trunk on a colle.., Mandolyn ...
- MOVING ON, Eugene Latumbo
- Alienation, hafiz qasim
- To The Unwritten, Michael P. McParland
- To Have And To Hold, Michael P. McParland
- thousands of dreams and a lost love, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Time, Michael P. McParland