Lawrence S. Pertillar
Blinded by a false and perfected etiquette,
Are those pretentious and embarrassed by reality.
Focused and unaffected by others who project,
Their needs to be seen as acceptable human beings.
And free of these delusions is Miss Rachel Jeantel.
Representing that side of 'society',
Others would rather hide behind fantasies they dwell.
Rachel is not a racist,
She just knows the life 'she' lives.
In an environment untainted by depictions,
Others isolated only in movies come to witness.
Rachel Jeantel forced to testify and defend herself,
With a presence credible by those who know too well...
A truth that exists she refuses to twist.
And not prepared to smother,
By attempts to hide with pretentions of others.
Or those who would be more impressed,
If she expressed their 'interpretation'...
Of someone who possessed 'their' version of intelligence.
Rachel Jeantel IS the reality.
And 'if' those who judge had their identities intact,
They would praise Rachel...
And not fault her for what they determine is a 'lack'.
Rachel Jeantel reflects a truth exposed.
And those with their noses sniffing the air,
Could learn many lessons from an awareness that's there.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rachel Jeantel by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Cinderella's Table Cloth, mary douglas
- Mother Culture's Lullbye - The Culling S.., Joseph DeMarco
- A Parody, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Prayer for the lost., David Lessard
- UGLY AGGRESSORS معتدون قبيحون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- SANDY AND MUSHMISH (THEY USED TO BE MY L.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Scarecrow Not Quite Dissolving By Orange.., mary douglas
- WHO ARE WE? من نحن ؟, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We Complain, Sandra Feldman
- Trapped Inside This Head Of Mine, david kush