Lawrence S. Pertillar
Blinded by a false and perfected etiquette,
Are those pretentious and embarrassed by reality.
Focused and unaffected by others who project,
Their needs to be seen as acceptable human beings.
And free of these delusions is Miss Rachel Jeantel.
Representing that side of 'society',
Others would rather hide behind fantasies they dwell.
Rachel is not a racist,
She just knows the life 'she' lives.
In an environment untainted by depictions,
Others isolated only in movies come to witness.
Rachel Jeantel forced to testify and defend herself,
With a presence credible by those who know too well...
A truth that exists she refuses to twist.
And not prepared to smother,
By attempts to hide with pretentions of others.
Or those who would be more impressed,
If she expressed their 'interpretation'...
Of someone who possessed 'their' version of intelligence.
Rachel Jeantel IS the reality.
And 'if' those who judge had their identities intact,
They would praise Rachel...
And not fault her for what they determine is a 'lack'.
Rachel Jeantel reflects a truth exposed.
And those with their noses sniffing the air,
Could learn many lessons from an awareness that's there.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rachel Jeantel by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Fragment, Oscar Wilde
- Madhushala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- The Monkey, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Krampus, Ima Ryma
- For My Love, Sandra Feldman
- I love To Run, Patrick Sant
- My Exploding Stomach, RUBAB ATWAL
- The Lifelong Comrades, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- LAST TIME, Terry Collett
- Another Toll By Death, Tony Adah
- I have always thought about life, Sumita Jetley
- I MISS YOU DAD, Sharen Suren