Question and answer
Father! Within the forest's bound
No bird I found,
No sound of song the woods around.
The bird that glad his song us gave,
Flies o'er the wave;
Perhaps he there will find his grave.
But why does he not wait till later?
He goes where light and warmth are greater
Father! It selfish seems to me,
Far off to flee,
When all we others here must be.
With new-born spring comes new-born song;
By instinct strong
The better new he'll bring erelong.
But if in death the cold waves swallow-?
Others will come; his kin will follow.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Question and answer by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Madhushala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- जिद्द............., sanjay kumar maurya
- An Unblind and a Blind Man, Luo Zhihai
- चादर तेरे प्रित की............., sanjay kumar maurya
- family visit, oskar hansen
- Thank the love gift me the verses by Ra.., Yuri Starostin
- पूनम का चांंद.............., sanjay kumar maurya
- An Angelic Figure, Ahmad Husain
- And the Trains Go On, Philip Levine
- Hair-raising, hafiz qasim
- Desperadoes, gajanan mishra