When Israel came from Egypt’s coast,
And Goshen’s marshy plains,
And Jacob with his joyful host
From servitude and chains;
Then was it seen how much the Jews
Were holy in his sight,
And God did Israel’s kingdom choose
To manifest his might.
The sea beheld it, and with dread
Retreated to make way;
And Jordan to his fountain head
Ran backwards in dismay.
The mountains, like the rams that bound,
Exulted on their base;
Like lambs the little hills around
Skipt lightly from their place.
What is the cause, thou mighty sea,
That thou thyself should shun;
And Jordan, what is come to thee,
That thou should backward run?
Ye mountains that ye leaped so high
From off the solid rock,
Ye hills that ye should gambols try,
Like firstlings of the flock?
Earth, from the center to the sod
His fearful presence hail
The presence of Jeshurun’s God,
In whom our arms prevail.
Who beds of rocks in pools to stand
Can by his word compel,
And from the veiny flint command
The fountain and the well.
Christopher Smart's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Psalm 114 by Christopher Smart )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- XVII (I do not love you...), Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Sensation Of Cleansing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A vase of flowers, Leong Ming Loong
- this just fell off of my frontal lobe, Mandolyn ...
- Growing Intellectually, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Collision Course, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Christmas This Year, Khalid Saifullah
- 'a new -but -not- very -old poetry of on.., Nyein Way
- Joy and Peace in Believing, Luo Zhihai
- My True Love Is Art, Rohit Sapra
- O God, gajanan mishra