These promises we make
Can we really keep them all?
These spoken words
Only soothe those we love.
These words are just that.
Empty verbs and meaningless nouns.
Why must we feel obligated
To soothe those we love?
Feelings thrown in the air.
Do we let them fall?
It is troublesome to catch objects
That we can never see.
A promise is a promise.
Without action it is only sound.
Why fulfill something
That we can never see?
Promises are words.
They can be nothing more.
Now tell me,
How many have you worked toward?
Devon McElveen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promises by Devon McElveen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Decoys, Birgitta Heikka
- Which Stones Cast Leave Permanent Scares?, Terence G. Craddock
- Tranquil Place, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Qualified Candidates For Euthanasia, Terence G. Craddock
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -71, Ronjoy Brahma
- City Workers, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- बबेयाव थांनो?, Bahadur Basumatary
- Yesterday, Tony Adah
- Thoughts Bloom, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Why Do People Sometimes Self Suicide?, Terence G. Craddock