January 1940, the water in the harbour was frozen
The boy was two years old and enemy soldiers
Thronged narrow streets in the small coastal town.
The child seeing the strange soldiers had no fear,
But he absorbed the alarm of the adults and cried.
He remembers only vaguely this war, that have had
So many books written about it, the loud noise
Bombs made and the warm fire of burning factories.
And that was the extent of the boy´s war, he was
Brought to a farm inland far from war and hunger.
He was not to know the place of sedition and had
Become a mascot for treason. Bullets hitting walls;
Other soldiers came and torched the farm; peace.
Indistinct memories and the shadow of remorse.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (prologue by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Generations Of the Stamped Fools., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Gold, Rimni chakravarty
- Red Tether, Diane Wakoski
- Remember..., Damian Murphy
- Love has power, hasmukh amathalal
- Uneasy Rider, Diane Wakoski
- Perfect, Awkward Reality, Simon Quperlier
- The Photos, Diane Wakoski
- Thank You Dad!, Damian Murphy
- Change Self Attitude and Find the World .., umaprosad das