We live in a world that does not feel for anyone or anything else but its own.
Then, you are my own.
You are breasts and arms to me.
You are as the scent of my sun warmed clean skin.
When you weep, I am in your tears.
When your dead die of violence, I am the mother wandering the streets past
the olive trees and fig trees and mourning stones searching in my blackest garb
my blood caked palms open asking 'Where are my children? '
I have searched for reasonable men to spare your life and gone begging to them
in places where sometimes it is clear they satiated by creating the execution block
instead of the forgiveness. When the human vultures came to pick your pockets
upon your demise, I have guarded the the body of your piety covering
it with my own.
Believe me, I will never let go of you.
I will pound my chest. I will cry out. My grief will not be stemmed
nor my pacifistic entreaty...
'Where are my children with their beautiful feet and souls? '
Believe me, I have flown like a tern over any mercy or joy God has shown you.
I have begged for coins of humanity just to place them on the worn wood
bargaining table of auctioned principle in a cruel world just to save you, touch
Your face again, drink wine in your company.
And, you were the teacher. You are who taught me this by your own actions.
Stay in this harsh universe to teach me more.
Romella Kitchens's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Primacy by Romella Kitchens )
- Black Beans, Edward Kofi Louis
- Humble Yourself, Edward Kofi Louis
- Gauravshali Bihar, sushant jha
- Exiled Sentence, Nathalie Handal
- Transcendent Moment, Edward Kofi Louis
- War, Nathalie Handal
- War, Nathalie Handal
- The Phone Call, Nathalie Handal
- Idol dances, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Ayrton, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- nugget, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)