Constantine P. Cavafy
Priest at the Serapeum
My dear old father,
who always loved me the same;
my dear old father I lament
who died the day before yesterday, just before dawn.
Jesus Christ, it is my daily effort
to observe the precepts
of Thy most holy church in all my acts,
in all words, in all thoughts.
And all those who renounce Thee
I shun.-- But now I lament;
I bewail, Christ, for my father
although he was -- a horrible thing to say --
a priest at the accursed Serapeum.
Constantine P. Cavafy's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: father
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Priest at the Serapeum by Constantine P. Cavafy )
- My Lover`s Lips Are Honey, Luis Estable
- when i inhaled you..., Mandolyn ...
- The Dance Of Death, Luis Estable
- language is not so much anymore, Mandolyn ...
- A Crazy Noisy Bird, Wasim Akram
- ZZ The Many Ways Soldiers Die, Saiom Shriver
- Lately, Dominique Lamboy
- MY WORDS AND HER WORDS كلماتي و كلماتها, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Drawing Inspiration, Tony Adah
- Bumblebees Bibbing, Saiom Shriver