Death is the bullies bashing
against the black walls and roof tiling,
death is the women being loved
in the course of onion peeling.
Death the squalid, unimportant streets
with their glamorous and pompous names,
the olive-grove, the surrounding sea, and even
the sun, death among all other deaths.
Death the policeman bending over
to weigh, a 'lacking' portion,
death the harebells on the balcony
and the teacher with the newspaper.
Base, Guard, Sixty-man Prevezian Rule.
On Sunday we'll listen to the band.
I've taken out a savings booklet,
my first deposit drachmas thirty one.
Walking slowly on the quay,
'do I exist?' you say, and then: 'you do not!'
The ship approaches. The flag is flying.
Perhaps Mr. Prefect will be coming.
If at least, among these people,
one would die of sheer disgust
silent, bereaved, with humble manners,
at the funeral we'd all have fun.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Preveza by Kostas Karyotakis )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- By the broken bridge, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Ratri, Mishka Allport
- Moon! Oh Moon!, Somanathan Iyer
- A Tale of Two Eateries, GEORGE AMADI
- THEY PASSED AWAY CALMLY رحلوا بهدوء, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A World, Just Within Reach, Doug Blair
- Enter Mario Gotze, GEORGE AMADI
- समनि नायथाय- 08, Ronjoy Brahma
- Change Of Heart, GEORGE AMADI
- The Okilo Sisters, Alexander Onoja