Preserved or Lost
Real life scenes can make the artist's day.
Norman Rockwell left many on display.
The rest of the story revealed a stay.
Hang them on the wall to be viewed by all.
The boy was digging worms for a fishing day.
Behind him, his pet geese were eating away.
In patient calm, a wise canine
Was watching the striped cat eating his food.
He shared and forgot and the day went fine.
What view may this reveal?
Will memory give it a grand appeal?
Is it left untold for time to steal?
Will the lesson, the view relays
Be with us to stay always?
Will it be lost and gone with yesterday?
Esther Thornburg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Preserved or Lost by Esther Thornburg )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
Poem of the Day
- Your Voice, Gina Borrebach
- Therapy in America at Christmas in 2014, Bill Grace
- Lost, Paul Sebastian
- Farewell 2014, Paul Sebastian
- The Right Religion, Kevin Forbes
- Miles away, hannah wilbert
- (8) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- A life unexamined, Robert Plese
- Dying, Dipankar Chakraborty
- Quotation # 5, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..