Power is High (And Power is Hungry)
America is High - The man
who changes your oil is high.
The priest is drunk -
The teacher; the mother;
the father; -is high.
Marijuana, crack, dope,
- flows into the streets.
When the wind blows
the rain in your face,
and you pass strangers
as you shield yourself with your arm...
-all those strangers
you pay no attention to…
80% of them are either high
or want to BE high.
They're on their way to GET high,
or to get someone ELSE high...
or they're going to work
so they can have
green pieces of paper
to trade for food...
and to get high.
The man with no home, sleeping
by the dumpster in the night,
the moon, his night-light protecting him
from monsters – He's high.
The high gave his mind
more shelter than his
What we need
more than the fire,
wind, the falling rocks and rain,
is shelter from sadness,
shelter from our wicked pasts,
shelter from the reality
that this world isn't the way
you thought it was as a child.
Shelter and escape is needed from the mundane.
This is why we seek to escape ourselves,
and why we need the next distraction constantly.
Deep down we know we are only half as great
as we think we are.
We seek to escape
- To hide
from our lives, I'm certain,
behind a curtain
or, behind Superman's cape.
We seek every hour
in the shower -
when we play -
We seek, we seek! !
every week, every week!
because we are weak.
America is weak-minded, screaming,
'Look how big, and tall, and badass,
and tough, and Alpha, and Elite,
and strong, and perfect I am! ! ! '
- -America, so old, never seems to grow up.
Large, old bodies, with tiny,
little 4-year-old minds trapped inside... - -
Entrepreneur, bourgeois Badass –
So high... on his/her own ego, if nothing else! ! !
'Eros is a powerfully destructive force! ...'
said Daniel Robinson in a lecture on Nietzsche-
America is high on Steroids,
on Anger and Pride, pumped up
for the Big Game...
and Coach has lined the ref's pockets
so he'll look the other way (in shame)
So America can cheat.
So 'Progress' can Defeat-
So Power can Eat-
So Business can Exploit
children in Indonesia
with no shoes on their feet -
The kids with no shoes
are crying the sweatshop blues.
with no shoes
are crying the sweatshop blues.
kids with no shoes
- -A 6-year-old made your 12-year-old's dress.
But, America, will never confess.
America is HIGH, and self-righteous.
flying around the world, set course,
with zero remorse
on a giant,9-cocked horse
Progress is High.
Business is High.
Power is High.
Control is High.
Organization is High.
Domination is High.
- September 30th,2010 -
Ray Quesada's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Power is High (And Power is Hungry) by Ray Quesada )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Bring Them Up, Edward Kofi Louis
- Argument, Leslie Philibert
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -102, Ronjoy Brahma
- Dammim II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Welsh Patterns in English Tongue, Pamela
- Mysterious Night, Greta Wolzak
- Passing Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The scholar, Angell Afinowi
- Visiting You Alone In A Field of Stone..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Reward, gajanan mishra