Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan (October 22,1972 / Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India)
Poem Hunter Contest Results! !
First Prize: - Ramesh Rai for 'I Searched You'
Second Prize: - Jim Hiner for 'Clothespin'
Third Prize: - Ramesh T A for 'Songs of the Singing Bird! '
Congratulations to all these Winners! ! But
Some of the better poems which sadly lost: -
(1) The Stone by Terry O'Leary
(2) Build Me a Glass Cage by Deepthy Menon
(3) Usain Bolt by Derek A. Sim
(4) A Tale of Fire and Ice by Andrea Dietrich
(5) Monika by Madhup Mohta
...and a few others! ! !
But in an on-line contest, sir, anything can happen -
especially if it is so poorly organised as this one.
I find it difficult to believe that Terry' The Stone
got a low rating. Readers can't be such fools, Come on! !
WILL POEM HUNTER ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTIONS? ?
(1) More than 300 persons have personally informed me that they voted for me. But my Contest Status at the end of voting shows only 33 votes cast! ! This is an outright fraud, my sir.
(2) On 18th October, my Contest Status showed 20 votes with average rating of 0.0 out of 5.0. On 19th it became 22 votes with 2.1/5.0. On 21st it was 25 votes with 2.4/5.0. On 22nd it became 29 votes with 2.5/5.0. On 23rd it became 30 votes with 2.6/5.0. And at the close of voting it was 33 votes @ 2.6/5.0. Anybody with a simple pocket calculator can understand that this is a Mathematical Impossibility.
(3) An average rating of 0.0 with 20 votes can in no way become 2.6 with 30 votes even if each of the 10 additional voters give you 5 out of 5! ! It is basic primary school arithmetic, sir! !
(4) That means the Poem Hunter computer server was not correctly recording the votes cast. What is more, its vote-calculating software was not scientifically programmed.
(5) We understand that Poets are usually poor in mathematics. But has anyone heard of a computer which is poor in basic arithmatics! !
(6) I also interacted with many fellow contestants, and they have told me that their Contest Status Page did not change at all although hundreds of people were voting for them.
(7) To make a cross-check, on 23rd October, I asked 5 of my friends (who wanted to vote for me) to inform me over phone the exact time they cast their votes. Surprisingly, that day and the next day the Status Page remained unchanged. Only after 30 hours the status moved from 29 to 30.
(8) I had informed the Poem Hunter Administrators about the above irregularities. Also how people with 36 or more different names had fraudulently hijacked the semi-final spots.
Poem Hunter is yet to reply to me. Will they ever reply? ?
Perhaps No. We know, on-line contests are fraud-prone. But the manner in which such brazen blunders have been committed, has really tarnished the image of Poem Hunter. You have no right to conduct such worldwide contests without getting your fundamentals rights.
MY SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE CONTESTS, IF ANY: -
(1) Let there be no restriction on the number of poem entries per person. If you restrict the number, frauds with duplicate IDs will get unfair advantage
(2) To put an automatic restriction on the number of entries, PH can always ask for a token entry fee (say USD 1) per poem.
(3) I have many more constructive suggestions - if only Poem Hunter will like to listen and improve its reputation...
(4) I invite suggestions from readers also as to how such contests can be held in a free and fair manner! !
Comments about this poem (Poem Hunter Contest Results! ! by Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan )
People who read Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan also read
Top 500 Poems
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings