Photographs And Memories
It was so long ago
on that wooden walkway to the sea
where we watched seagulls play.
One day you turned to me
and said before summer left
you would be going away.
It is no good begging me to stay
because someone else needs me,
but you’ll always be my only love.
She gripped my hand tightly
as we walked along
and no more words were spoken.
Until it was time to go
we would be together every day,
she promised me that
as we walked along the beach
watching the waves rush to the shore
until each day folded to a close.
Seasons have come and gone
since that summer long ago
when you said goodbye to me.
Leaving only photographs and memories
of what was my forever love.
Now as I walk by the sea
and down that wooden walkway,
I still feel your hand in mine
and hear your voice on the breeze.
Although I walk alone now
I know you’re never far from me.
I still remember that end
as your hand drifted from mine
and I knew it was your time to leave me
forever an empty shell on the shore
with only photographs and memories
that will stay with me forever.
23 February 2014
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Photographs And Memories by David Harris )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death Be Not Proud, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- This world is yours, gajanan mishra
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal
- Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- The Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- Absence, Neela Nath
- Not Knowing What Might Have Been, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The rising, gajanan mishra
- Flowing Water, Vera Sidhwa