Your name lit up.
I thought you called to say goodbye.
My heart sank.
I closed my eyes and waited to awaken from this nightmare.
You were still there.
This was the end, this was goodbye.
My heart drowned.
All emotion bled out into a bloody sea
I had almost forgotten how persistent you were.
A lover, now a fighter.
I knew if I struggled it would be in vain.
So I basked in the calm, and waited for the storm.
Took in all the things I held dear.
My weary gaze fell upon your letters.
The only colour to my black and white world.
But they would be of no comfort when I suffered in hell.
I answered the call.
All that sweet time had come down to this.
I just wish I had one last chance to hold you, to kiss you.
I held back the tears and braced myself
For the final blow.
Your words in my ear, resonating in that familiar melodic voice.
Relief washes over my battered old skin,
Sad last words discarded, unspoken.
But have I been saved?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Phone by Andrew Lee )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson