Philosophy 101: Who Knew?
The gap between potency and act,
the scholar says, is demonstrated
by this anecdote:
A boy of 12, visiting a farm,
is given a glass of buttermilk
by the farmer's wife who tells him,
'Down the hatch, young man! '
The boy drinks the buttermilk
and almost vomits.
Decades later at a County Fair
a farmer's wife selling buttermilk
tells the boy who's now a man,
'You'll love my buttermilk! '
and offers him a glass.
He drinks the buttermilk
and vomits on her counter.
This demonstrates, the scholar says,
the gap between potency and act.
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Philosophy 101: Who Knew? by Donal Mahoney )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Wish I Could Come With You!, Geetha Jayakumar
- Superstitions., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- आंबो सासे राजा, Bahadur Basumatary
- Miss Coal Beauty/ Coal Black Diamond Girl, Bijay Kant Dubey
- THE LAST SCENE المشهد الاخير, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Keep Smiling!, Geetha Jayakumar
- THE LAST SCENE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Gone, Kareem Sameh
- Muskurathey Raho!, Geetha Jayakumar
- A Few Stars Tonight, Jesus James Llorico