Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

(4 April 1928)

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
read full text »

Read this poem in other languages

What do you think this poem is about?

Comments about this poem (Passing Time by Maya Angelou )

Enter the verification code :

  • Debra Cowley (1/27/2008 11:07:00 PM)

    I always marvel over the way her poems are so real to whom she is. The women discripes her self of mystery to a man. She is always in a changing mood of emotion of style and grace in color in her body that might not be perfect but yet so profound.. Thank for inspiration

    Debra Cowley

    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.
  • Barry Mck (1/27/2008 4:15:00 PM)

    To be entirely fair this whole website is a joke. The comments for this poem are 90% female and the rest of the 10% written by men are mostly coherently negative when evaluating this poem.

    To be fair again, it would be people searching for 'maya angelou' specifically that will end up leaving a comment here, and who would search for this poet.

    I'm sure Maya is a woman of many talents, this poem however does not exhibit any.

    This website is proof of what can happen when anyone (but not everyone) is given a voice.

  • Riquetta Elliott (1/26/2008 9:34:00 PM)

    When I read this poem over and over again, it makes me confident and more beautiful to make me a phenomenal woman. Very beautiful and outstanding poem.

  • Cristoph Galindo (1/26/2008 1:13:00 PM)

    This is a good poem but there is better

  • Christina Green (1/16/2008 1:42:00 PM)

    I'm a woman and proud of it -blushes a lot- Ooops heheh.... I love your poem though>< Awesomeseseseseses

  • Sarah H (1/15/2008 4:57:00 PM)

    I'm so glad this particular poem of Maya's is listed so highly. It resonates so strongly with me for many reasons. Exceptional work in terms of it's ability to offer identity to its audience.

  • Elizabeth T. (1/13/2008 11:24:00 AM)

    This is by far my favorite poem. I am in awe of Maya's writing ability. An amazing woman she is.

  • Karla Keese (1/11/2008 5:50:00 PM)

    It's insanely funny to me, that there isn't a single person in this forum, that I have ever heard of. Yet, they are passing judgment on Maya Angelou? Let us not forget exactly who it is we are talking about.

    Let's look at her record:
    She is an author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, stage and screen producer, director, performer, singer, and civil rights activist.

    Among her volumes of poetry are A Brave and Startling Truth (Random House,1995) , The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (1994) , Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now (1993) , Now Sheba Sings the Song (1987) , I Shall Not Be Moved (1990) , Shaker, Why Don't You Sing? (1983) , Oh Pray My Wings Are Gonna Fit Me Well (1975) , and Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'fore I Diiie (1971) , which was nominated for the Pulitzer prize.

    In 1959, at the request of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Maya Angelou became the northern coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. From 1961 to 1962 she was associate editor of The Arab Observer in Cairo, Egypt, the only English-language news weekly in the Middle East, and from 1964 to 1966 she was feature editor of the African Review in Accra, Ghana. She returned to the U.S. in 1974 and was appointed by Gerald Ford to the Bicentennial Commission and later by Jimmy Carter to the Commission for International Woman of the Year. She accepted a lifetime appointment in 1981 as Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. In 1993, Angelou wrote and delivered a poem, 'On The Pulse of the Morning, ' at the inauguration for President Bill Clinton at his request.
    (information from the Academy of American Poets)

    These are just a FEW of her accomplishments. It's obvious, someone thinks she's good! Let us also, not forget that she is making money, and publishing her work. While a shocking number of readers on this page, hold her poetry in derision, she is laughing all the way to the bank.

  • Fanny Sendow Odiase (1/2/2008 12:01:00 AM)

    great, all power, all confidence, as phenomenal as Maya Angelou is

  • Charles Wiles (Best Love Poems) (12/29/2007 5:28:00 PM)

    A phenomenal poem by a phenomenal woman!

People who read Maya Angelou also read

Top 500 Poems

[Hata Bildir]