Let’s put this into perspective:
I am only one broken, bruised girl.
I was never force fed heroin, or tied to a bed.
I was never sold for half a million dollars and I was never transported by filthy men to make up their wages with my body.
I was a child.
I was force fed dinner seasoned with tears, and I held the responsibility of tucking my brother into his bed.
I was never worth a penny and I transported myself down the road to earn a couple dollars with my own two hands.
Their bodies glisten in the basement lights,
And you’ll shoot the men down with your two fingers shaped into a gun.
You’ll carry them to safety all the while whispering, “you’re safe now. It’ll be okay.” In their drugged up ears.
You’ll lay them down and tuck them into a childhood bed, sitting watch all through the night to make sure they pull through on the other side when the sun comes to a rise.
My body won’t glisten.
And I’ll tuck myself into my bed whispering, “it’ll be okay.” Into the dark of the night.
And when the sun rises, I’ll find you there making pancakes and obsessing of the dream you had the night before and I’ll scream, “YOU’RE SAFE NOW.”
But it’ll go through your ears.
And get lost in your passion.
I’ll get lost in your passion.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Perspective by Simone Graves )
- We, Yohan Confectioner
- Trust None, Even Me!, Sir Toby
- More Deliberately Taken, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Ah, money!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- We shall overcome someday, Vidura Prabhath
- Jadavpur University Campus And The Lefti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Excellence, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Chains, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- New Dawn, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Stolen Ancient Landmark, Sir Toby
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)