Let’s put this into perspective:
I am only one broken, bruised girl.
I was never force fed heroin, or tied to a bed.
I was never sold for half a million dollars and I was never transported by filthy men to make up their wages with my body.
I was a child.
I was force fed dinner seasoned with tears, and I held the responsibility of tucking my brother into his bed.
I was never worth a penny and I transported myself down the road to earn a couple dollars with my own two hands.
Their bodies glisten in the basement lights,
And you’ll shoot the men down with your two fingers shaped into a gun.
You’ll carry them to safety all the while whispering, “you’re safe now. It’ll be okay.” In their drugged up ears.
You’ll lay them down and tuck them into a childhood bed, sitting watch all through the night to make sure they pull through on the other side when the sun comes to a rise.
My body won’t glisten.
And I’ll tuck myself into my bed whispering, “it’ll be okay.” Into the dark of the night.
And when the sun rises, I’ll find you there making pancakes and obsessing of the dream you had the night before and I’ll scream, “YOU’RE SAFE NOW.”
But it’ll go through your ears.
And get lost in your passion.
I’ll get lost in your passion.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Perspective by Simone Graves )
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ분당오피녀 ⓑ시화오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 분당오피 KTwiz 시화오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- Contemplations, Dr Amit Gokhale
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ부산오피녀 ⓑ시흥오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 부산오피 KTwiz 시흥오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ동묘오피녀 ⓑ대전오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- L.Messi 오피뷰 동묘오피 KTwiz 대전오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Sibngnu2 Sibngnu2
- Needing Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Drivers, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Respect the seniments, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- My Heart and I, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)