Let’s put this into perspective:
I am only one broken, bruised girl.
I was never force fed heroin, or tied to a bed.
I was never sold for half a million dollars and I was never transported by filthy men to make up their wages with my body.
I was a child.
I was force fed dinner seasoned with tears, and I held the responsibility of tucking my brother into his bed.
I was never worth a penny and I transported myself down the road to earn a couple dollars with my own two hands.
Their bodies glisten in the basement lights,
And you’ll shoot the men down with your two fingers shaped into a gun.
You’ll carry them to safety all the while whispering, “you’re safe now. It’ll be okay.” In their drugged up ears.
You’ll lay them down and tuck them into a childhood bed, sitting watch all through the night to make sure they pull through on the other side when the sun comes to a rise.
My body won’t glisten.
And I’ll tuck myself into my bed whispering, “it’ll be okay.” Into the dark of the night.
And when the sun rises, I’ll find you there making pancakes and obsessing of the dream you had the night before and I’ll scream, “YOU’RE SAFE NOW.”
But it’ll go through your ears.
And get lost in your passion.
I’ll get lost in your passion.
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Perspective by Simone Graves )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- So is Love, Jayatissa Liyanage
- A World Without Colour, Alex Lear
- À TOI, Rosie Bourget
- Psalm 077, Forrest Hainline
- Every day feels scripted, Mark Heathcote
- It's Not Your Fault, Sarah Liz Bowman
- Beauty Of Moonlight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- misguide., tiffany white
- Parallel Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- À L'ÉLU DE MON COEUR, Rosie Bourget