R. K. Hart
Mother and son enjoyed the painted horses and foals,
As they galloped up and down on golden poles.
Mother thrilled at this beautiful sight of joy,
Almost more than the experience, it gave her little boy.
Son grew older; more money came to his hand,
Her birthday was near, his eye said buy a painted fan.
His heart said buy something else altogether,
A music box with prancing horses, light as a feather.
Mother so enjoyed her young man's hand painted gift,
Until a drunken husband's jealousy became miffed.
The darkest of dark fury's came over the man,
As the man took the little horses in hand.
With greatest power little horses smashed into the wall,
If he had a thought, it was to get his son's gift and maul.
Immediately the deed was complete,
His drunken tears fell like sleet.
His remorseful thoughts were as ears in a field of wheat,
Or dreams of men and their lives left incomplete.
Father soon after repaired the little horses with great care,
With the horses in place music played so fair.
The horses began their joyful prance,
The family held each other in a joyful dance.
R. K. Hart's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Painted Horses by R. K. Hart )
- " Change " it's our aspiration!, sisirachandra vaduge
- Women, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Desire, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I Love You, Melika Gillard
- Firaq yar ko dagha..., Azhar Sabri
- Save Mother!, tolu ogundare
- சின்னச் சின்ன பையா வா!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Infinite journey., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Feelings Unfelt, RUBAB ATWAL
- Dear person, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- My Teacher, My Hero, Geneen Alyssa Meyers
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(1552 - 13 January 1599)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)