R. K. Hart
Mother and son enjoyed the painted horses and foals,
As they galloped up and down on golden poles.
Mother thrilled at this beautiful sight of joy,
Almost more than the experience, it gave her little boy.
Son grew older; more money came to his hand,
Her birthday was near, his eye said buy a painted fan.
His heart said buy something else altogether,
A music box with prancing horses, light as a feather.
Mother so enjoyed her young man's hand painted gift,
Until a drunken husband's jealousy became miffed.
The darkest of dark fury's came over the man,
As the man took the little horses in hand.
With greatest power little horses smashed into the wall,
If he had a thought, it was to get his son's gift and maul.
Immediately the deed was complete,
His drunken tears fell like sleet.
His remorseful thoughts were as ears in a field of wheat,
Or dreams of men and their lives left incomplete.
Father soon after repaired the little horses with great care,
With the horses in place music played so fair.
The horses began their joyful prance,
The family held each other in a joyful dance.
R. K. Hart's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Painted Horses by R. K. Hart )
- Satan's obsessions, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- War (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- Finally hope fades away, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- What can we do not to sin again? ? ? ?, ademola oluwabusayo
- Childhood collection poem -4, soulful heart
- Tell me you love me, Tiku akp
- All cut jokes, hasmukh amathalal
- Finally Freed (Unbound), Dylan Attard
- This materialistic world هذا العالم المادي, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- My dream (Naani Poetry), Jesus James Llorico
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Blackberry-Picking, Seamus Heaney
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)