Our Helpless hands!
Tea, tea, coffee, coffee
egg omelette, toast, cakes, chocolates.
Sounds crashing one another
When the train stopped on one platform.
Two glittering eyes
Looking hungrily at the
Chocolates and cakes.
Dressed in rags
Dirty and foul smell covered her.
Torn from all sides
Begging for a penny
Nothing in hand,
Just a seven year old.
But she entertained all
The travellers with beautiful
All enjoyed and listen
To her sweet voice
None came forward
To keep a penny in her small hand.
But she kept on moving
From compartments to next.
Came cleaning all
The places inside the train
With a small stained piece
Of cloth in his hand
Came for asking for money
But few gave it.
Train started moving
They all jumped into the platform
And waiting for next train
To start again for their one piece of bread..
Many many are the people
On each stations
Our hands too are left with few pennies,
To feed them all.
Yes, our hands are helpless to feed them all.
Many days empty stomach
Fill their hunger with water.
How long will this go on
What about for tomorrow?
Geetha Jayakumar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Helpless hands! by Geetha Jayakumar )
Did you read them?
- Ephemera, Ian Nicholas McDowell
- Seeing light in Darkness, Aziz Akrish
- Mother! will I not be the saffron spot o.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- A Virtual Life, Sandra Feldman
- Never Ending Dreams, Lilly Emery
- My Soul's Song, Matthew Densley
- No love, Barbara Dixion
- Music Is Life, Ray Hansell
- S. Truett Cathy - A Memoriam Poem, Bill Grace
- Take My Heart, Ray Hansell
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)