Our Helpless hands!
Tea, tea, coffee, coffee
egg omelette, toast, cakes, chocolates.
Sounds crashing one another
When the train stopped on one platform.
Two glittering eyes
Looking hungrily at the
Chocolates and cakes.
Dressed in rags
Dirty and foul smell covered her.
Torn from all sides
Begging for a penny
Nothing in hand,
Just a seven year old.
But she entertained all
The travellers with beautiful
All enjoyed and listen
To her sweet voice
None came forward
To keep a penny in her small hand.
But she kept on moving
From compartments to next.
Came cleaning all
The places inside the train
With a small stained piece
Of cloth in his hand
Came for asking for money
But few gave it.
Train started moving
They all jumped into the platform
And waiting for next train
To start again for their one piece of bread..
Many many are the people
On each stations
Our hands too are left with few pennies,
To feed them all.
Yes, our hands are helpless to feed them all.
Many days empty stomach
Fill their hunger with water.
How long will this go on
What about for tomorrow?
Geetha Jayakumar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Helpless hands! by Geetha Jayakumar )
Did you read them?
- hey four eyes with the square tie, Jena Crowe
- Where there respect thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
- 84 and couldn't speak English, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- Frost Chills, Cathy Hodgson
- What A Wondrous Thing, Joshua Chuhran
- Falling Doves, Joshua Chuhran
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)