Our Country 1859
A land there is, lying near far-northern snow,
Where only the fissures life's springtime may know.
But surging, the sea tells of great deeds done,
And loved is the land as a mother by son.
What time we were little and sat on her knee,
She gave us her saga with pictures to see.
We read till our eyes opened wide and moist,
While nodding and smiling she mute rejoiced.
We went to the fjord and in wonder beheld
The ashen-gray bauta, that record of eld;
Still older she stood and her silence kept,
While stone-studded hows all around us slept.
Our hands she then took and away o'er the hill
She led to the church ever lowly and still,
Where humbly our forefathers knelt to pray,
And mildly she taught us: "Do ye as they!"
She scattered her snow on the mountain's steep side,
Then bade on swift skis her young manhood to glide;
The North Sea she maddened with scourge of gales,
Then bade her young manhood to hoist the sails.
Of beautiful maidens she gathered a throng,
To follow our daring with smiles and with song,
While she sat enthroned with her saga's scroll
In mantle of moonlight beneath the Pole.
Then "Forward, go forward!" was borne on the wind,
"With forefathers' aim and with forefathers' mind,
For freedom, for Norsehood, for Norway, hurrah!"
While echoing mountains voiced their hurrah.
Then life-giving fountains burst forth on our sight,
Then we were baptized with her spirit of might,
Then gleamed o'er the mountains a vision high,
That summons us onward until we die.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Country 1859 by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- A Journey of Treasure, Raymond A. Foss
- spinning 2 StAnd $tiLL - can i cHaRge it?, sEaN nOrTh
- un-nerves sh#t - sweet child of mime, sEaN nOrTh
- The Wise Man, Brian J. Stafford
- Cos Their Real Money 2, sEaN nOrTh
- Indian Republic Day,2015, Dr John Celes
- humans, lee fones
- hunger, oskar hansen
- Ideals Of Views, Margaret Alice Second
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns