Ask: are my dreams crumbling before my face
or must I not believe my eyes?
Ask: am I limping in longing and lust
whilst my counterparts rise?
Ask: is mine a face full of sweat and tears?
And ask: is mine a cry that no noble ear hears?
Well, let the wise answer,
let the seasoned give a smart answer:
though my future be bleak
I'll remain like a dove meek,
though the situation be bad
I'd rather not be sad,
though the weather be cool
I'll plunge not in a pessimist's pool,
But, instead, when the sun rises in the east
I'll wake up and rise to feast,
when the storm comes from the South
I'll get into my room and close my mouth,
when the violent winds come from the north
I'll take up my rod and attire and make my oath,
when the sun sets in the west
I'm sure I'll have done all my best,
For mine's a heart of an optimist -
For mine's not a mind of a pessimist!
Comfort Ndlovu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Optimist by Comfort Ndlovu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Solace in Test, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Coeur d'Alene, Lucas Pate
- With That Time To Find, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- My Prowling PH Eyes .... [DEMENTIA; VER.., Bri Edwards
- Quick To Finish Mentalities, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Invisible Cage (For Robin Williams), Tori Leftwich
- Advent Of The Eagle's Cry, Captain Cur
- Strange Charisma Of Your Words, Captain Cur
- SENRYU (5-7-5) 11, Aftab Alam
- SENRYU (5-7-5) 10, Aftab Alam