One Hundred Days!
One hundred days of cold, cold, cold!
One hundred nights as well...
Another Winter to unfold
To rid us of this spell...
No snow as yet these eyes have seen,
Yet soon it has to fall...
For nine degrees can intervene
And send in part or all...
The gardens switch from green to white,
The birds compete for bread,
Survival makes them impolite,
It's no good being dead...
And cats and dogs are loathe to leave
Their warm homes far behind,
No wonder that they can't help grieve
When snow's out there to find!
The freezing cars don't always start
Till paths are shovelled clear,
It's all enough to break one's heart
And lose all Christmas cheer!
But that's the way life seems to be,
Cold fingers and cold toes
And sneezes that add misery
To each sore throat and nose...
No poodle dogs have I to stroll
Like in the years gone by,
When bitter Winters took their toll
And caused us all to sigh...
It's just me now, these months to bear,
One hundred days and nights!
With hoodie on and squashed down hair,
The poet that still writes!
Denis Martindale, copyright, January 2014.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Hundred Days! by Denis Martindale )
- Your Coronation, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- I Love You, How To Say, Get It Sent Acro.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Right To Prevail, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Scarecrow, Naveed Khalid
- Beav Cleave - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Hotel, Randy Resh
- I SLEEP FOR A FEW DREAMS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- I SLEEP FOR A DREAMS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- The Modern Indian English Poetess, Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Soul, Richard Bretton
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Farewell, William Wordsworth
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(3rd April 19sixty)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)