One Call Away
Smoking in the phone booth,
under dying street lights,
the city still remains alive.
Clearly hearing ringing bells,
I grab the phone, instantly,
and utter out, “Hello? ”
Waiting for the breath of
any life line over there,
I sadly tell myself,
“I am here alone, yet again”.
Hanging up the phone to finally
suffocate that sound of monotone,
I recollect my calls with operators
in belief that they were once my friends.
Switching boards from ‘Friends for Life’
to ‘Foes from Lies’, was I supposed to be
against the smoke of hairy vines, today?
Ugh, feeling Ivy’s poison flowing through
my natural crimson streams, wishing it
were just a dream, I can’t breathe.
Having changed my mind about my
lonely view in life, I reach for the phone
and quickly dial ‘EMERGENCY’.
Slowly falling down inside this hazy
booth, I begin to cry as I lastly read a
message taped along its side stating this,
‘OUT OF ORDER’.
Rise, and Shine.
Dedicated to Bryan Soriano
Steven Chung's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Call Away by Steven Chung )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Serenity Is Placed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak