One Call Away
Smoking in the phone booth,
under dying street lights,
the city still remains alive.
Clearly hearing ringing bells,
I grab the phone, instantly,
and utter out, “Hello? ”
Waiting for the breath of
any life line over there,
I sadly tell myself,
“I am here alone, yet again”.
Hanging up the phone to finally
suffocate that sound of monotone,
I recollect my calls with operators
in belief that they were once my friends.
Switching boards from ‘Friends for Life’
to ‘Foes from Lies’, was I supposed to be
against the smoke of hairy vines, today?
Ugh, feeling Ivy’s poison flowing through
my natural crimson streams, wishing it
were just a dream, I can’t breathe.
Having changed my mind about my
lonely view in life, I reach for the phone
and quickly dial ‘EMERGENCY’.
Slowly falling down inside this hazy
booth, I begin to cry as I lastly read a
message taped along its side stating this,
‘OUT OF ORDER’.
Rise, and Shine.
Dedicated to Bryan Soriano
Steven Chung's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Call Away by Steven Chung )
- Sonnet: Life Looks Strange, Dr John Celes
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)