On Woman's Dress
I'm awful hard on dress, you know.
Women, you forget
that you are the mothers of creation;
you forget that your sons
were cut off like grass by the war,
and that the land was covered by their blood;
you rig yourselves up in panniers
and Grecian bend-backs
yes and mothers
and gray-haired grandmothers
wear highheeled shoes
and humps on their heads,
and put them on their babies,
and stuff them out
so that they keel over when the wind blows.
I am ashamed of ye!
What will such lives
as you live do for humanity?
When I saw them women on the stage
at the Woman's Suffrage Convention,
the other day,
What kind of reformers be you,
with goose-wings on your heads,
as if you were going to fly,
and dressed in such ridiculous fashion,
talking about reform and women's rights?
'Pears to me,
you had better reform yourselves first.
But Sojourner is an old body,
and will soon get out of this world
and wants to say
when she gets there,
Lord, I have done my duty,
and I have told the whole truth
and kept nothing back.
Sojourner Truth's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Woman's Dress by Sojourner Truth )
- The Horse Race., Harold R Hunt Sr
- That's Why I'm Afraid, Neela Nath
- Ex's, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Articulate Through Art, Curtlan Popo
- Classic dances, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The tengrian praying at sunrise, Zamir Osorov
- I Am We, Curtlan Popo
- Authenticity, Diane Hine
- My New Neighbour, Valsa George
- Royals Baseball Poem, Tom Zart
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Different Ways to Pray, Naomi Shihab Nye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)