On Reading Poems Of R. L. Stevenson
In the heart of ageing fellow there was still the little boy
In his bed and on the blankets playing with his soldier toy
Stevenson the great poet and author for long years at writing toiled
Yet despite success and glory at heart he was still a child.
Young Louis was in his garden as a child and roaming free
He could hear the small birds chirping in their nest high on the tree
And the child he gazed in wonder at the marvellous things he see
Butterflies flying in the sunshine and the buzzing worker bee.
Stevenson the poet and author he was getting old and gray
But he was back again in Scotland in his garden far away
Playing with his toys in the sun shine in the shadows of the trees
With the pleasant scents of Nature wafting in the summer breeze.
Playing at hide and seek and fun games, 'blind man's buff' and pass the ball
And from the 'see saw' in the garden he could see above the wall
He could glimpse his neighbours gardens as he see sawed up and down
One of the many happy children in Edinghburgh his Hometown.
From 'A Child's Garden Of Verses' one great lesson i recall
That the 'child within' is living and breathing within us all
It's just that as some of us grow older we grow bitter with the years
And our child within is stifling in our phobias and fears.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Reading Poems Of R. L. Stevenson by Francis Duggan )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- THOUGHT-LIFE (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Music, Life's Soundtrack (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Love Note 16, Michael P. McParland
- Change, David Lessard
- ENVY DEFINED, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Oh My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- The actor and the witness, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Possessive of God, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The forbidden ritual, Mark Heathcote
- WHEN ON ME THEY CANNOT FEED, Cynthia BuhainBaello