Old age has thrown its cloak on me
Slowing down my walk,
Blocking off old friends
Who have problems of their own...
Or more likely,
Contacts are cut off.
Still alive, holding cups of hot tea
I wander in the maze of my memory
Through times and places
Now, wholly theoretical.
Tilley and his steeplechase,
His teeth like tombstones
Grin from a subway poster
At fourteenth, Union Square
To tempt me down to Coney Island.
Even at that time Luna Park
Was just a dream.
The snakey curves pull a moan
From the 3rd avenue El
As it twists over the housetops
On 23rd on its way to the Aquarium
At the Battery.
That old fort, inhabited by sharks
And seals and open pools
Of horseshoe crabs
Which sit like warted blisters
Lost in antedeluvian contemplation.
That New York is now long gone,
With its Cascade laundry wagons,
Horsedrawn or electric.
These days the internet, full of the buzz
Of stranger=s offerings of sex and wealth
Spamming through electronic mail
Jan Sand's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Old Thoughts by Jan Sand )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Dance With Me, Michael P. McParland
- Spy Terrorist, Marieta Maglas
- So what becomes of you my love?, Akhil S Behl
- In the Eye of the Ferris Wheel, Reagan A. Latumbo
- On Taking Secretaries to Lunch, Donal Mahoney
- The Lizard Said Yes, Tony Adah
- For real this time, yashovardhan kulkarni
- hey hog rider, does the roof have ricket.., Mandolyn ...
- my hair is still growing as fast as the .., Mandolyn ...
- New Mexico Sky, Taiko