Old age has thrown its cloak on me
Slowing down my walk,
Blocking off old friends
Who have problems of their own...
Or more likely,
Contacts are cut off.
Still alive, holding cups of hot tea
I wander in the maze of my memory
Through times and places
Now, wholly theoretical.
Tilley and his steeplechase,
His teeth like tombstones
Grin from a subway poster
At fourteenth, Union Square
To tempt me down to Coney Island.
Even at that time Luna Park
Was just a dream.
The snakey curves pull a moan
From the 3rd avenue El
As it twists over the housetops
On 23rd on its way to the Aquarium
At the Battery.
That old fort, inhabited by sharks
And seals and open pools
Of horseshoe crabs
Which sit like warted blisters
Lost in antedeluvian contemplation.
That New York is now long gone,
With its Cascade laundry wagons,
Horsedrawn or electric.
These days the internet, full of the buzz
Of stranger=s offerings of sex and wealth
Spamming through electronic mail
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Old Thoughts by Jan Sand )
- An Invitation, Doyen Lingua
- Bougainvillea, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Enamored Love, Lilly Emery
- October Skies, Lilly Emery
- What if, Chris Zachariou
- Within My Mind Holds Dreams, Lilly Emery
- citizen, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Treat, Please, Bruce Larkin
- I Love Halloween!, Bruce Larkin
- Wal-Mart are You Joking?, Joe Rosochacki
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)