Perhaps because I live in seclusion,
Never fit in with the crowd,
Seemingly left, a false illusion,
Must be inherently endowed.
Long this life accompanied me,
Started, back in school,
Favored alone, simple and free,
Chose, to ignore the rule.
Met old timers along the way,
Moved quietly out to a farm,
Found my home, passed the day,
Repairing a neglected old barn.
Work deliberately and steady,
Until the job’s done,
To help another, always ready,
Into, the setting sun.
Always a project, lying in wait,
What else to do with my time?
Imagination, striving to create,
Mountains waiting to climb.
So this is what life is all about,
Everyday starts fresh and clean,
Ne’er-ending plans, to carry out,
Accepting my portion; life’s routine
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Old School by G.R. Gaus )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Lucy Gray, or Solitude, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- A Well-Worn Story, Dorothy Parker
Poem of the Day
- Ballade [The goat scratches so much it c.., François Villon
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel
- Story of snow., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- She Wanted, Spiritwind Wood
- When love was born, Lehlohonolo Selai