Old And New
Thou hast made me known to friends whom I knew not.
Thou hast given me seats in homes not my own.
Thou hast brought the distant near and made a brother of the stranger.
I am uneasy at heart when I have to leave my accustomed shelter;
I forget that there abides the old in the new,
and that there also thou abidest.
Through birth and death, in this world or in others,
wherever thou leadest me it is thou, the same,
the one companion of my endless life
who ever linkest my heart with bonds of joy to the unfamiliar.
When one knows thee, then alien there is none, then no door is shut.
Oh, grant me my prayer that I may never lose
the bliss of the touch of the one
in the play of many.
Rabindranath Tagore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Old And New by Rabindranath Tagore )
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Bull Hawking
Emily Jane Brontë
(30 July 1818 – 19 December 1848)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- The Innkeeper’s Wife, Clive Sansom
- ALWAYS ON MY MIND, Stanley Oguh
- Wicketkeepers, Quir Diing Jr.
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- Le Déluge, Alfred de Vigny
Poem of the Day
- The Miraculous Escape of Robert Allan, t.., Max Plowman
- The Battle of Sheriffmuir, Max Plowman
- General Gordon, the Hero of Khartoum, Max Plowman
- Limerick-73, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- MOTHER, KASINIVENTHAN MUTHURAMALINGAM
- The Monkey, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Krampus, Ima Ryma
- For My Love, Sandra Feldman
- I love To Run, Patrick Sant
- My Exploding Stomach, RUBAB ATWAL