Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
Oh, Dearest Mother!
Oh, what a joy to experience life's love
As a warm peace under a cozy shield
Fed fat with no single toil by oneself;
Held firm by a most lovely flesh attached!
I dropped, greeted by wildest joy of all
Who forgot the wildest cry of just one;
I cried out hard to my sender above
For such a cruel world he'd just sent me to.
But lo! I grew and she kept watch o'er me;
I cried and she carried me on her back;
She even beamed when I soiled her body,
And slept only half just because of me.
She guided me 'long the path to follow
And guarded me from stumbling as her boy;
She beamed her infectious smile on my face
And lulled me with sweet songs to peaceful calm.
Now, I think her as the vessel of life
Who endured a plus weight because of me
And lost parts of her youthful bloom and charm
'Cause of my unquenchable need to suck.
Hail, our dear irreplaceable mothers
Whose consoling breasts nourished our beings,
Whose kindest knees we loved dandling upon,
Whose numerous night-wakes can n'er be scaled!
All hail the heart of our fam'ly body!
All hail the stem of our family tree!
All hail the mirror for our reflection!
All hail the mould of our family clay!
And for you on an unknown endless trip,
We say: ‘peace to you' wherever you are,
Even as we still keep your candle lit
And, thus, wait till we meet to part no more.
Christian Tobechukwu Okafor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Oh, Dearest Mother! by Christian Tobechukwu Okafor )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- aut neca aut necare, RIC S. BASTASA
- Not a Poem at all, sEaN nOrTh
- to be empty all over again and move like.., RIC S. BASTASA
- and once again you decide to live., RIC S. BASTASA
- 'tonight at ten'., RIC S. BASTASA
- you must be lucky to have found it, RIC S. BASTASA
- love became l o v e became LOVE and now .., Mandolyn ...
- that self-confidence, RIC S. BASTASA
- do not have to fathom it like some kind .., RIC S. BASTASA
- amor patriae, RIC S. BASTASA