Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
Oh, Dearest Mother!
Oh, what a joy to experience life's love
As a warm peace under a cozy shield
Fed fat with no single toil by oneself;
Held firm by a most lovely flesh attached!
I dropped, greeted by wildest joy of all
Who forgot the wildest cry of just one;
I cried out hard to my sender above
For such a cruel world he'd just sent me to.
But lo! I grew and she kept watch o'er me;
I cried and she carried me on her back;
She even beamed when I soiled her body,
And slept only half just because of me.
She guided me 'long the path to follow
And guarded me from stumbling as her boy;
She beamed her infectious smile on my face
And lulled me with sweet songs to peaceful calm.
Now, I think her as the vessel of life
Who endured a plus weight because of me
And lost parts of her youthful bloom and charm
'Cause of my unquenchable need to suck.
Hail, our dear irreplaceable mothers
Whose consoling breasts nourished our beings,
Whose kindest knees we loved dandling upon,
Whose numerous night-wakes can n'er be scaled!
All hail the heart of our fam'ly body!
All hail the stem of our family tree!
All hail the mirror for our reflection!
All hail the mould of our family clay!
And for you on an unknown endless trip,
We say: ‘peace to you' wherever you are,
Even as we still keep your candle lit
And, thus, wait till we meet to part no more.
Christian Tobechukwu Okafor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Oh, Dearest Mother! by Christian Tobechukwu Okafor )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Groove Of A New Sound, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Depths Of Remembering, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 185, John Westlake
- Wash over me., Jessica Amburgey
- Martin Chuzzlewit, douglas scotney
- Love Note 18, Michael P. McParland
- A Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Loving Free - Falling, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Poor Child's Born with a Start that'.., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- A explanation, Mariam Abdelghani