T (no first name) Wignesan
Ode To Spain, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Oda A Espana
(before the Civil War)
(Alejandro Duque Amusco draws attention - in his selection of Carlos Bousono’s poems – to the fact that José Luis Cano considers Bousono to be the poet who re-introduced the theme of « patriotism » in the poetry of the post-Civil War (1936-39) era. T. Wignesan)
Oh! Spain! the land where
while one fighting bull assailed, another kills.
Drunks flying without direction in the stars
seek to ascend shirt-sleeves at the cuffs.
At the meeting points of unfortunate demise
and of living it up, the merrymaking
goes on until midnight. Accordeons.
More wine. Applause. Uproars. Whistlings. Nausea.
In the midst of this wild revelry, a priest militarily surges up.
Imposes benedictions and awards medals.
He climbs up upon a chair. Harangues the crowd.
A general rising up in the thick of battle.
In the hardened and deserted arenas
on the route of bitter thirst,
multitudes of drunks bracing themselves against the wind,
staggered at the rising of the sun.
One of them was dressed as a bull-fighter.
Another laughed to himself. All were dancing.
In the treeless plain swept by wind: persistent hunger,
Spain stammered and choked.
© T. Wignesan – Paris, 2013
T (no first name) Wignesan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode To Spain, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Oda A Espana by T (no first name) Wignesan )
- Journey, Arno Le Roux
- Morning Light, Arno Le Roux
- My Honesty Hurt Me More, Arno Le Roux
- Crossword Puzzles, Arno Le Roux
- Unpacking Gold, Arno Le Roux
- Storybook Story, Arno Le Roux
- God's Violin, Arno Le Roux
- Willow, weep for us, Peter Jay Shippy
- Masking War, Arno Le Roux
- Wedding Album, Jeannette Heywood
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Hedgehog, Paul Muldoon
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1679 - 1718)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Maithili Sharan Gupt
(3 August 1886 – 12 December 1964)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 April 1932 - 20 December 2000)