T (no first name) Wignesan
Ode To Spain, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Oda A Espana
(before the Civil War)
(Alejandro Duque Amusco draws attention - in his selection of Carlos Bousono’s poems – to the fact that José Luis Cano considers Bousono to be the poet who re-introduced the theme of « patriotism » in the poetry of the post-Civil War (1936-39) era. T. Wignesan)
Oh! Spain! the land where
while one fighting bull assailed, another kills.
Drunks flying without direction in the stars
seek to ascend shirt-sleeves at the cuffs.
At the meeting points of unfortunate demise
and of living it up, the merrymaking
goes on until midnight. Accordeons.
More wine. Applause. Uproars. Whistlings. Nausea.
In the midst of this wild revelry, a priest militarily surges up.
Imposes benedictions and awards medals.
He climbs up upon a chair. Harangues the crowd.
A general rising up in the thick of battle.
In the hardened and deserted arenas
on the route of bitter thirst,
multitudes of drunks bracing themselves against the wind,
staggered at the rising of the sun.
One of them was dressed as a bull-fighter.
Another laughed to himself. All were dancing.
In the treeless plain swept by wind: persistent hunger,
Spain stammered and choked.
© T. Wignesan – Paris, 2013
T (no first name) Wignesan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode To Spain, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Oda A Espana by T (no first name) Wignesan )
- Good deed, Suresh Dogra
- Problems, maria sudibyo
- Free!, maria sudibyo
- Angst, maria sudibyo
- OTP (One True Pairing), maria sudibyo
- Lost, zheung kyuhkoh
- Fall down, lonely, zheung kyuhkoh
- Mission: Fission Or Fusion, Aftab Alam
- My broken heart Transcends, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Red face, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)