Ode in Honour
Evening is part of the jig-saw truth of her,
ply-wood ply-flesh, her insolent reply
blinding the ace with a straight shot to centre,
the woman's a delicate devil in twenty places
blander and blonder, tinder tenderly
setting the smiles on fire in men's faces.
On any evening gets you ready for dark
swathes and saves you for the magic carpet
spirits you anywhere anytime anyhow
over the bridges the tunnels the hills the foothills
the pools lakes oceans cataracts crystal floes
the mountains and fountains the antique windows of space,
the deserts orchards vineyards milky ways,
over pontoons and the silting tracks of moons
over the decks and the docks where the clocks
chime, anywhere anytime, anyhow, any fresh place.
Anywhere where winds blow and babies grow
where poor men wait for money in a row
where magnates buy and sell your heaven and hell,
anyhow whether the storm runs over the roof
or hollow tooth aches or gangrene takes the soul,
anytime when the sun splutters and throws shrapnel
between the legs of dead men and mad lovers,
she will be there to hold you by the cuff
to give you all her stock of luck or love.
two round lips and two round eyes
and two round ears and two round palms
and two round arms and two round thighs,
any child, any girl, any woman, any surprise.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode in Honour by Francis Scarfe )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Clown in the Moon, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Pain and Love Thoughts, Tiger Auntunette
- THE PROXY, michael walkerjohn
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro
- My Poetic Existence, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Safety In Dreams, Is It Poetry
- Death defies planning., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Broken vision, Lubinda Lubinda
- Two hands to kill, hasmukh amathalal