The waitress offered me coffee,
My bloodshot eyes looked at her yellow teeth:
'Yes that sounds nice.'
It was cold and bitter.
As I swallowed
I rolled my tongue
Like a steady wake.
To taste the bitterness on my throat.
I set the cup down atop my newspaper.
Lifted it back up to my lips,
Peered down at the newspaper,
Noticed a brown ring bordering a headline.
Where my cup had been.
‘U.S. Economy Gains Steam
After Great Recession.'
The headline read.
'How quaint.' I mumbled.
Our pain and suffering was given a title.
It's clever and all,
But what were we recessing from?
I remember hearing college students shouting:
'Occupy' and 'revolution.'
Watching economic professors from ivy-league schools
Decorated in make-up and color coated designer suits.
'We need to blame the bankers
That lent out money to people
They knew couldn't afford the loans.'
Words are fun.
(Trust me I am a poet)
But a revolution without guns
Is like a cold cup of coffee.
A person will feel the effects of the caffeine,
But the flavor and aroma
Are lost on temperature and time.
All along we sat waiting in tents,
Waiting for change.
Waiting for the coffee
To re-heat itself.
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (#obamanation by A.j. Binash )
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
- They Are The Bamiyan Buddhas, You Fire N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mundamala Kali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- LETTER TO A MOTHER 2, john chizoba vincent
- The Festival of Lights, Deepawali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- To Loving Partha Sarothi -A Token Of Love., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Picking At Sores, Kyle Schlicher
- Crazy, Dipankar Sadhukhan
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns